Setting up Quartus II on my Linux virtual machine just to see if I can get it working. Going to document all steps needed / problems that occur in case I need to do this again one day.
- Using DE2 board.
- Downloaded the 64 bit linux version of Quartus II 13.1
- Installed with all optional boxes checked.
Use the new project wizard; these settings are specific to my DE2 board.
- Choose a directory, choose a project name, Next
- Family: Cyclone II, Package FBGA (this typo has been here forever)
- Pin Count 672, Speed Grade 6
- EP2C35F672C6, Next
- Simulation Format: Verilog HDL
Using the following simple code for testing:
input wire a;
output wire b;
assign b = !a;
- Create a new verilog file and paste the code.
- Project -> Add Current File to Project
- Project Navigator -> Files -> right click the .v file and set as top level entity.
- Be sure that the name of the module in the .v file matches the name of the file itself.
- Processing -> Start Compilation.
- Good so far, no errors, 12 warnings.
Now, to get it onto the board itself.